Monday, January 18, 2016

December 28, 2015

December 28, 2015

Fact: what Utahns call 'white elephant' new englanders call a 'Yankee
swap'. Yankee swaps are a lot less brutal than white elephant gift
exchanges, at least as far as I have experienced.

This week was a lot different than I thought I would be experiencing
this time of year.
It started off with some really far out experiences like: inviting a
person to learn more about Jesus Christ, and then him interrupting us
to confess that he was a 'raging heroine addict' and that he needed a
'fixing'. We were also followed by a crazy man who was laughing
hysterically and shouting word that I am pretty sure we're not
English.
It was all down hill from there.
  My sweet companion, bless her heart, was inflicted with much pain as
she endured kidney stones. (She gave me permission to tell you.) we
ended up in the ER for a good chunk of Wednesday evening as they tried
to find ways to help her. To no avail, she was left to her own
devices. On Christmas Eve we went to a members home and she curled up
on their couch and I helped with the Christmas festivities. We had an
AMAZING time! It was so much fun getting to know them better and to be
in their spirit-filled home. The next day was Christmas! Shout out to
my awesome family!! It was so awesome to talk to you and see your
gorgeous faces!!!! We spent the day with the AMAZING Weiss family! It
was so comforting to be with people like them, family away from
family, on such a sacred holiday. I feel absolutely blessed that I was
able to be with them and for everything they did for us to help us
have a memorable Christmas. :)
We went to our bishops home after the Weiss's and played games.
Glorious games!! It feels like it's been a million years since I have
played, it was so fun!
The things that I have learned from this week will carry me through my
mission, and through my life. The people in this area, and especially
this Ward, have a special place in my heart.

There is nothing big and glamorous about a mission. They aren't filled
with extravagant experiences, orchestras don't play in the background
as you leave your apartment in the morning. Fireworks don't go off
when something amazing happens.
The life altering, soul changing, experiences often come in quiet,
sentimental experiences. Like sitting by a fire and talking about
things of the spirit with people that you love. Long hugs. Sentimental
scripture sharing. Bearing testimony over the phone.

I feel so blessed to have had this opportunity in concord (getting
transferred tomorrow) but I know that I was here for a reason, I met
people I needed to meet, I learned things about myself that I would
have only learned here.

I love this mission!!

Sister Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment