Sunday, May 29, 2016

April 11th, 2016

Fun fact: moose don't actually exist here. It's just a marketing scam to get tourists here. People get them mistaken for the infestation of squirrels. 
(Jk moose exist, I'm just bitter because I haven't seen one yet) 

Three cheers for exchanges!! 
This week we went on exchanges with the Sister Training leaders, who are also training a new missionary, so there was five of us all together squished in a cute little apartment, drenched in the Spirit, and rain. :) it rained a lot this week! 

A cool experience I had on exchanges was this: 
I set a goal on Wednesday that I was going to hand out a Book of Mormon to someone (harder than you think here in NE). We had lots of tracting time, so the opportunity was definitely prevalent. 
The hours passed on, and every house we knocked on was a bust. No interest, no one giving the time of day. 
We were getting down to the end, the wind and rain was beating us down, and I was nervous because I still had this Book of Mormon in my hand. 
We scurried up to the second to last house, gave a good knock on the door, and waited. 
And waited. 
Then finally after what felt like centuries, a woman answered the door. And it felt like my hands just floated up, and I knew this was the person! We talked to her, she said she wasn't interested, but that wasn't about to stop us. I showed her the Book of Mormon and testified of it, and started to hand it to her. She looked at us and with big eyes and kindness said: "are you sure? I can really have this? Thank you so much!" And then we gave her our number and walked away. 
:) 

Another miracle moment was: MOLLY CAME TO CHURCH!! Alice and James weren't able to make it, but Molly was very persistent and dedicated, and it all got worked out, and she came! She is so wonderful, she fits right in! 

This weeks district meeting was centered on the Sabbath Day. There is a line in Preach My Gospel that says: "when a community or nation grows careless in its Sabbath activities, it's religious life decays. And all aspects of life are negatively affected." 
The word decay means: to fall into disrepair. 
When something decays, it is unable to be repaired to its original state. 
Another quote concerning the Sabbath and church: "While there we are able to participate in the sacrament to remember Jesus Christ and his atonement."
When we repent, we aren't sent back to what we were before we sinned, before the decay, we change to a new and improved person, changing our lives.
So when we come to church, when we invite our friends to church, we are enabling the atonement to work in our lives, and our friends lives. Everyone matters, and every choice we make affects those around us. 
So, come to church, because that's how we change the world. :) 

I hope you all have an incredible week! We all have so much to be thankful for!! 

I love you all! 
Sister Lewis 

Photos: 
1: exchanges! We were 'soaked' in excitement to be missionaries! 
2: quick, someone get me my hammer pants
3: ...
4: church down the street





No comments:

Post a Comment